Friday, August 23, 2013

Roadtrip Day 2: The grandeur of the Grand Canyon

The second day of the roadtrip was my favorite. That's because it included the Grand Canyon! I've always wanted to visit this world-renowned landmark and this was my opportunity to do it! It takes about 5 hours to get to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. The drive towards the canyon is mostly flat and deserty (is that even a word?!) with a few plateaus and cliffs along the way. It was so different from the landscape in California, or anywhere else I've ever been to.

After stopping at a country-themed steakhouse for lunch, we drove into the Grand Canyon park in the late afternoon. Until you actually pay and drive into the park, you can't see the Grand Canyon from the road. Once you're in though, the view is breathtaking! We quickly parked our car, put on some sneakers and headed to the Canyon. I couldn't help but marvel at the beauty of God's creation. The Canyon stretched as far as the eye could see. It was deep, majestic, and made you feel very small in comparison. I snapped lots and lots of pictures, so I'll let them do the talking! Enjoy!







Dad being his ol' goofy self!
"Hey Inna, take a picture of me like this!" - Dad



"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your hand will hold me fast."



This was our view leaving the Grand Canyon that day! Simply phenomenal. 
After leaving the Grand Canyon, we drove to Flagstaff, AZ to spend the night. The hotel (although supposed to be 3 stars on Priceline) was slightly better than a motel and cost more than our nice hotel in Las Vegas. The only good thing was the free breakfast, but oh wait, we slept through that! Thank God for Starbucks!

Day 3 and 4 of the roadtrip were not very exciting. Just a lot of driving through deserts and fields. We did stop at a Native American rest area somewhere in the middle of New Mexico and I bought a really cool Native American picnic blanket/rug. My dad thinks it's ugly but I like it a lot! After driving all day, we spent the last night  of the roadtrip in Amarillo, TX (which smelled like cows). The hotel was really cute and homey, and the staff spoke with a heavy Southern accent. It was so bad that my dad couldn't understand what the guy was saying! I had to translate! Let's just say we were both really amused at how different the English language sounds just a few states away!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Inna, you got some really nice shots of the Grand Canyon! What a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete